[Organization name] has an obligation to its employees and the public to take action known to protect people’s health. This policy has been established to protect and promote the health and well-being of employees and visitors. Tobacco use is the single largest cause of preventable, premature death in the U.S. The use of tobacco products by employees or visitors compromises the mission of [organization name] providing a safe and healthy place to conduct business.
- Smoking: inhaling, exhaling, burning, operating, or carrying any lighted or heated Tobacco Product or Vapor Product, as defined herein.
- Tobacco Product: any item made of tobacco intended for human consumption, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. Tobacco Product also includes Vapor Product. Tobacco Product does not include traditional tobacco.
- Vapor Product: any electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device and any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device. The term, Vapor Product, does not include any product approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as tobacco cessation products and marketed and sold solely for that purpose.
- Traditional tobacco (Ċanśaśa): The cuttings or shavings of plants in their natural form such as red willow bark, sage, and sweet grass. Traditional tobacco has no additives and is used for medicinal purposes, ceremony, prayer, and social gatherings.
- [Facility] Property: includes, but is not limited to [locations].
All areas of the workplace and property are now tobacco-free, without exception. This pertains to any tobacco product including the use of smokeless or spit tobacco and applies to both employees and non-employee visitors of our organization.
- Use of tobacco products will not be allowed within the facilities of [organization name] at any time.
- The decision to not provide designated smoking areas outside the building will be at the discretion of management or another decision-making body.
- Use of tobacco products is not permitted within the facilities or on the property of [organization name] at any time.
- Use of tobacco products is not permitted in any company vehicle or in personal vehicles when transporting people on [organization name] authorized business.
Traditional Tobacco Use
In respect for the traditional tobacco use of American Indians, traditional tobacco used in the practice of cultural or religious activities will be the exclusive exception to this policy. Use of traditional tobacco for ceremonial purposes is permitted and must be approved in advance by the [designated individual or department] prior to use.
- Signs stating the policy will be clearly posted on the perimeter of the property, at all entrances, and other prominent places. No ashtrays or other collection receptacles for tobacco trash will be placed on the property.
- The policy will be communicated during New Employee Orientation.
Enforcement of this policy is the shared responsibility of all [organization name and location] personnel.
- All employees are authorized and encouraged to communicate this policy with courtesy, respect, and diplomacy, especially with regard to visitors. If difficulties arise with compliance of this policy, notify security.
- Incidents of smoking and/or tobacco use by employees are to be documented for supervisor follow-up, as well as evaluated for trends and patterns of noncompliance.
Tobacco Cessation Opportunities
[Company name] encourages all employees who use tobacco to quit.
- The [insert the company department or worksite wellness program] offers [insert cessation benefits/assistance] for employees who want to quit tobacco.
- Tobacco cessation information is also available from the South Dakota QuitLine number 1-866-SD-QUITS (1-866-737-8487), or by visiting the website at www.SDQuitLine.com.
Any questions regarding the tobacco-free policy should be directed to [company department/union representative, including phone number(s) for handling inquiries].
The policy set forth above is effective [date] for [company name and location] and was last updated [date].
Updated February 2023.