The [rodeo board] finds that:
- Tobacco use in the proximity of children and adults engaging in or watching outdoor activities at [Rodeo Name] is detrimental to their health and can be dangerous to those using such facilities.
- The [Rodeo Board] has a unique opportunity to create and sustain an environment that supports a non-tobacco norm through a tobacco-free policy, rule enforcement, and adult-peer role modeling during [Rodeo Name].
- Parents, leaders, and officials involved in rodeo events are role models for youth and can have a positive effect on the lifestyle choices they make.
- The tobacco industry advertises at and sponsors events to foster a connection between tobacco use and community events.
- Tobacco products, once consumed in public spaces, are often discarded on the ground requiring additional maintenance expenses, diminish the beauty of [the Rodeo’s] facilities, and pose a risk to livestock and toddlers due to ingestion.
- The prohibition of tobacco use at [Rodeo Name] serves to protect the health, safety, and welfare of participants, livestock, and fans of the rodeo.
- Smoking: inhaling, exhaling, burning, operating, or carrying any lighted or heated Tobacco Product or Vapor Product, as defined herein.
- Tobacco Product: any item made of tobacco intended for human consumption, including cigarettes, cigars, pipe tobacco, and smokeless tobacco. Tobacco Product also includes Vapor Product. Tobacco Product does not include traditional tobacco.
- Vapor Product: any electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device and any vapor cartridge or other container of nicotine in a solution or other form that is intended to be used with or in an electronic cigarette, electronic cigar, electronic cigarillo, electronic pipe, or similar product or device. The term, Vapor Product, does not include any product approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration for sale as tobacco cessation products and marketed and sold solely for that purpose.
- Traditional tobacco (Ċanśaśa): The cuttings or shavings of plants in their natural form such as red willow bark, sage, and sweet grass. Traditional tobacco has no additives and is used for medicinal purposes, ceremony, prayer, and social gatherings.
- [Facility] Property: includes, but is not limited to [locations].
- During [Rodeo Name], tobacco use is prohibited on the entire rodeo grounds, including [list applicable areas such as all vendor areas, restrooms, concession areas, seating areas, performance areas, buildings and their entrances, etc.].
- This tobacco-free policy applies to all employees, independent contractors, and members of the general public while attending [Rodeo Name].
- [Insert the following sentence if the rodeo has the authority to bind other events held on the property] This policy extends to any entity that leases, rents, or otherwise holds events on the property.
Traditional Tobacco Use
In respect for the traditional tobacco use of American Indians, traditional tobacco used in the practice of cultural or religious activities will be the exclusive exception to this policy. Use of traditional tobacco for ceremonial purposes is permitted and must be approved in advance by the [designated individual or department] prior to use.
- Signs stating the tobacco-free policy will be clearly posted on the perimeter of the rodeo grounds, at all entrances, and other prominent places. No ashtrays or other collection receptacles for tobacco trash will be placed on the property.
- Competitors, event attendees, and staff will be notified about this policy.
- It is the responsibility of the board members or their designee to provide enforcement.
- Any person found violating this policy will be asked to refrain from tobacco use or risk immediate ejection from the event grounds for the remainder of the event.
- If the violator refuses to leave, the staff may contact local authorities.
The policy set forth above is effective [date] for [organization name and location] and was last updated [date].
Updated February 2023.